Monday, February 9, 2009

How'd it go...?

So if you're a life sciences major like me and you went to the Career Fair, you were probably left with a lot to desire. There weren't a lot of major biotech firms, but I did have a chance to interact with some of them. As I was explaining my research to one of the company representatives, I realized this- I have no clue how to explain my research to a non-technician in my field! This is really REALLY bad news. Most fairs have human resources representatives who I need to be able to explain my work to, and on top of that, for both my MQP presentation and interaction with future employers, I should have a clear idea of what to say. Not just, "Uh, I work in a genetics lab with RNAi"...I mean, I didn't even know what RNAi was until about a year ago.
I have to be honest, I was never so glad that the Life Sciences Fair is a little later. This gives me some time to refresh my memory about what I'm doing, practice explaining it to non-biotechnicians, and get very proficient in speaking fluently about my research. I've decided I will be setting up a meeting with a CDC counselor to help me out. They are really good at holding mock interviews, which isn't necessarily what I'm going for yet, but it would be nice to practice interaction with a prospective employer.
Also, it's almost mid-February so it's about time I start looking for work. I think I'll hit Career Search on Job Finder, so I can start with companies by area. I'll be applying to Cambridge first, but it would probably be a good idea to narrow down to a few fields, instead of just biotechnology- because this is the center of it! From there, I'll probably cover New York and San Diego as well.
Keeping my fingers crossed!! ^_^

No comments: