Monday, September 29, 2008

Steps Toward the Future...

So recently I decided that I have no definite idea of what I want to go to graduate school for. I like research, but I don't really want to spend the rest of my days in a lab, working crazy hours everyday and never seeing the sun. I like communicating with people, so does that mean I should head straight for an MBA, and get a job with a biotech company? But what about learning more about neuroscience, which I love?

Moreover, I really just want to do nothing more than to travel around and see different countries. Biotech is in fact, a pretty big field in a lot of places, especially in Europe. So what do I do next to achieve work experience and travel experience in one go?

Well, I walked into the CDC with an appointment about this, and got a lot of information for where I can go for resources. Apparently the Career Search option on Job Finder (if you don't have an account yet, go to the CDC website and create one-it's super-helpful!) to look for companies anywhere, and I mean, ANYWHERE, around the US or around the globe. I can choose the specific areas of biotech jobs I'm looking for-like pharmaceuticals as opposed to neuroscience companies or non-profit organizations. I can look for all the places I want to go- so in the US, I've decided to stick to MA, NY and CA, and I can limit my search to that as well. Outside of the US, I'll be looking in different areas in Europe and some in select countries in Asia.

This past summer in June, there was a biology conference held in San Diego (apparently this is an annual thing), about which I can find information at bio2008.org, so I'm going to find the lsit of sponsors, and target the global companies I'm interested in. I checked it out already and it's a great place to start searching about all the companies that attended, whether in or outside US, because it seems like this conference was massive.

It's going to help also to stay local and make sure to apply to several companies around here. Even if I decide not to stay here, it's going to get me a lot of experience of how to approach applying and networking, and most importantly at this point, how to interview.

I know that intially I was going to approach the CDC for grad school application advice, and I just want to mention that they have great resources on that stuff too. If you're confused about anything like that at this point, definitely make an appointment. It's always best to start early, because there's a lot of research to do about schools or jobs, and the older we get, the busier we get also. So make sure you're ahead of the game. And good luck!

No comments: